Saturday, September 8, 2012

Game Day Irish style

I am sure there are many of you that follow me at my twins blog and just assume that I just like baseball well that couldn't be further from the truth.  I am a huge huge football fan both College and Pro.  My teams for the Pro's unfortunately are the Vikings.  Even though they are going through a rough patch the last couple years I believe things are on the rise.  I truly believe it is the right thing the way that General Manager Rick Spielman is putting the team together.  Going young that is just coming into its prime and building through the draft.  I am thankful that the future of the Minnesota Vikings is secure after they were able this spring to secure a new Football Stadium in Minneapolis.

In the college game my allegiance is solidly behind the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.  I have been watching the Irish every Saturday for my whole life through the good times and the bad times.  Lately I know there have been some bad times and I know it is easy to jump off the Irish lately, but I truly believe that Brian Kelly is slowly, but surely bringing glory back to South Bend.  The Irish got off to a great start in Ireland last week with a drubbing of Navy by the score of 50-10.  Everrett Gholson got off to an outstanding start to his Irish Career.  Kelly did a very smart thing for a young quarterback making his first start and that is running the football.  Theo Riddick stepped in nicely for the suspended Cierre Woods to rushing for 107 yards and two touchdowns and catching two more passes for 25 yards.  George Atchinson III backed him up with 99 yards and two touchdowns of his own.  In all the Irish rushed for 293 yards on 46 carries which is 6.4 a carry.  This is unusual because Brian Kelly's history has shown he loves to throw the ball so 46 runs vs 23 passes was quite remarkable.  But Kelly is not stupid when you get Woods back he will have a three headed monster and losing Michael Floyd will make this a rush first team. 

The defense did a very good job stopping Navy's triple option holding them to 149 yards rushing over 150 yards lower than their average last season. Mantai Ta'oe did a great job filling the gaps and making multiple stops behind the line.  The Seconary has some work to do as they allowed Navy to throw for 192 yards in the air which is like 3 games worth for Navy usually.  They will be tested by Michigan, Stanford, Oklahoma, and USC's passing games so they need to get it fixed and fast.

Today, the Irish open their home schedule with a battle with old rival Purdue at Notre Dame stadium.  It would be easy to say the Irish will have no problem with the Boilermakers based on the 38-10 drubbing last year in West Lafeyette.  However, Purdue has an experienced qb in Robert Marve so it will be interesting to see how the Irish secondary holds up.  I expect a big win, but it wouldn't surprise me if this game was closer than what most people think.  I have no doubts the Irish offense will score enough points to win, the only question I have is can the Irish secondary hold up for all four quarters.

Prediction:  Notre Dame 38  Purdue 17

No comments:

Post a Comment